Monday, April 12, 2010

The Hiccup Cure No One Seems to Know

As noted a while back, this blog continues to get one-shot readers from all over the world. This week, we've had visitors from Egypt, Romania, Spain, Italy, Brazil, Germany, and Finland. This amazes us, and we've wondered what marvelous thing we could post that would be of benefit to our reading public. If we thought they'd be regulars, there wouldn't be pressure to come up with one amazing post. But chances are, there are tens of people who will drop in this week and never find (or seek) this blog again. This could be our big opportunity! What should we write?

It came to me tonight. There is one thing I know, which apparently very few others do, that could change one moment of one person's life. I know how to stop hiccups, and Rufus can attest to this fact.

Yes, that's right. For many years, I have been afflicted with occasional flares of diaphragmatic spasms. I have never had the hiccups for more than an hour or two, thanks to the efficacy of this family cure.

Get a glass of water, but make sure it's only half full. (Even a pessimist should be able to measure this.) Try to make sure no one is watching, as they may develop their own conniption fit when they see what you're going to do next.

From a standing position, place the inside of your upper lip on the far outside rim of the glass. You'll have to lean forward and tip your head out and down. Continue to lean forward, so your head is almost upside down. Let a little water dribble into your mouth, then swallow it carefully. Take a few more sips, breathing slowly and carefully.

Check to see if the hiccups are gone. Stand up and breathe slowly but normally. If you hiccup again, repeat the upside-down drinking technique for a few more sips.

There you have it. To all our international fans: Rufus and I are pleased to present today's post for your education, and we invite you to wander back here any time to see if we've written about our extensive research into migraines, ingrown toenails, and post-natal separation anxiety.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

Hi, Katharine. I heard this remedy years ago, but I thought it was a joke! I don't get hiccups very often, but I will certainly try this the next time it happens. Hope this little tip brings you lots of regular readers! :)

Sandra said...

Hi, Katharine. I heard this remedy years ago, but I thought it was a joke! I don't get hiccups very often, but I will certainly try this the next time it happens. Hope this little tip brings you lots of regular readers! :)