Saturday, October 4, 2008

All Things New


All things? Well, not really. But what do you think about the new look? Extreme Makeover -- Blog Edition! Silliness, but it was time for a new look. I like the clean appearance of this template, and it seems easier to read.

Another new thing coming up soon is NaNoWriMo. I'd heard of National Novel Writing Month from folks at the Christian Writers forum. The basic idea is, you commit yourself to attempting to write 50,000 words of a new work of fiction during the month of November. Can't start early, can't use an ongoing work in progress, but you don't have to "finish" this novel beyond the 50,000 words. It's a jumpstart, with a little competition thrown in to entice you to keep going.

In case you haven't heard, I started working on a novel [several] years ago. I'm slowly editing it now, and considering my options for the ending. I had set the manuscript aside quite some time ago, so it's been a very long time since I wrote any fresh new fiction. (Really, the stuff I write here on the blog IS ALL TRUE. Mostly. Especially the part about my son refusing to listen to Bela Fleck.) Anyway, I think NaNo will give me an opportunity for a good long workout of those unused fiction-creating muscles. Oh -- and the county library system and my library in particular will just happen to be hosting some special activities to support NaNo! How convenient!

When NaNo begins, my first priority will have to be fiction. If you don't hear from me for a while, do not be alarmed. I was thinking of having Blackie take over the blog, but her arthritis prohibits her from sitting at the computer. Rufus would be the next candidate, but he doesn't do anything unless there's a tennis ball to chase. He did recognize a Target bag today (that's where we buy his preciouses), but he's still pre-literate. But, in order to prepare for NaNo, I should be ramping up my writing... and what better place to write than on the dogs' blog?!

Thanks for reading.

No comments: