Friday, February 4, 2011

An Aid to Peaceful Contemplation of Nothing in Particular

The weeks have been sliding past, up and down, over and over. It's been feeling like a rut, although I'm not really stuck anywhere. Just the same cycle of days, up and down, over and over. Time for a change.

I finally got my (library) copy of Jan Karon's newest book, In the Company of Others. Several years ago, at a sort of cocktail party, someone gushed about me being a "librarian" and asked what great new books I'd been reading. I chuckled uncomfortably. If I'd known her better, I would have laughed out loud. Although my library system gets the hottest, newest books on their public release date, I never plan ahead to get myself on the waiting list. On the day a new book comes out, I am privileged to unpack it and put it on the "hold" shelf for those other smart people to pick up. Sometime after that, I'll get around to putting myself on the list for it. In the mean time, I'm confident that there will be plenty of books for me to read.

Sometimes I don't want to take the time to read. Maybe there aren't enough available brain cells to allow for a journey of imagination. But in all this up and down, over and over, it's time to take the time.

Ms. Karon's writing is quiet, easy, comtemplative. It makes me feel good. It lets me think. It's beautiful. I'm taking time to read a good book, and I'm resting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been a while since I checked out the "wise dog" but,as ever, you made me chuckle. Thanks!

Katharine said...

Heh heh heh! Thanks for checking in!