Thursday, June 4, 2009

Seedlings to Sculptures -- Organically


What's the difference between a sapling and a shapely maple? Size, yes. Strength, of course. Beauty. Complexity. I've spent considerable time studying huge old trees with tangled branches, but almost no time appreciating the straight growth of a newbie.

One of my writer friends said this in a recent post:

I'm learning that God's miracles aren't magic tricks, and that He works much more organically than I'd prefer. Instantaneous success doesn't seem to interest Him that much - not when He can accomplish so much more by a long obedience in the same direction. -- Pastor Michael Scott

There have been a lot of circumstances in my life that haven't gone according to my preferences. There are some big ones today that aren't moving in the direction I would choose. But I'm committed to walk in obedience and faith, as much as I can, and I'll wait for the payoff to come later.

Paul said--
And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

The beauty of a big, complicated maple tree is its balance. The branches go this way and that, but the general outline is pleasingly round. From a distance, it's a massive bulk. Up close, the interplay of criss-crossed branches is fascinating. It's worth waiting a few years -- a couple of decades -- for the tree to develop.

I think life is like that. Although I admire the energy and action of youth, it's amazing to hear the wisdom that comes from a long life well-lived. Experience, strength, and hope are the fruit of maturity, and I hope I'm growing in that general direction. Despite the tangledness of my branches.

2 comments:

The Williams Five said...

Boy did I need to hear that. My life is definitely not how I would choose it to be right now. I'm tired, frustrated, and just plain grumpy (towards the kids). I think I need to stop today and just enjoy the moment. Thanks

Katharine said...

I hear you, Erin. Take a nice deep breath, have a cup of coffee, and then jump back into it.