Wednesday, April 2, 2008

What's Tomorrow?

I've been working a lot of extra hours lately, and the dogs haven't been very happy about it. They like having me at home, sitting quietly with them or doing exciting things that involve going up and down the stairs. (Laundry has never seemed that interesting to me, but I guess there's always a chance we might come across a piece of raw meat or some stale cookies that need to be eaten.) Anyway, it must be boring to be stuck at home all day without Someone With Opposable Thumbs here for entertainment.

A couple of times, I have tried to tell the dogs that I would be home with them "tomorrow" and we'd play and nap and whatever then. But they don't have a concept of what tomorrow is, so my promise goes right over their furry heads. I meant well, but was unable to provide any consolation to my canine friends as I walked out the door to go to work again.

There's a story about some other folks who didn't fully grasp the concept of "tomorrow." These guys had a friend who said he had to go away, but would be back soon. When he went away, they couldn't go with him. He knew they would miss him terribly, but he had to leave -- really leave. It was going to look permanent, but he promised to return.

When he left, and they saw him go, they were absolutely convince that he was gone for good. Gone. Dead gone.

No comments: